Background of Consumer Protection Act
When we are going to know some new acts we need to know what is the background behind it. The background behind the consumer protection act 1986.Consumer has always neglected dominance of produce, trader or businessman. “Consumer is the King” got statutory recognition in India before it was like consumer there was a dominance of a producer, businessmen but somewhere people thought that it should not happen. Consumer should able to tell his/her opinion get justice, get the good quality product. So for that purpose and moreover consumer is the king that is the basic concept. So, for that purpose consumer protection act came into force. Consumer can go to the consumer court but he/she is going to the normal court. It was a speech. It was a time-consuming process. He/she has to go the consumer court then consumer has to file consumer case, then dates consumer used to get nothing else for justice was delayed and there was a good magazine that justice delayed justice denied. So, it was obvious that justice denied to a consumer. So for that purpose, Consumer Protection Act came into force. A need for a statute for consumer protection was felt. In 1985 United Nations have passed a law regarding consumer protection. The consumer protection act enacted in India 1986 and effective from 15.04.1987. Supplemented by the consumer protection act 1986.
Objective of Consumer Protection Act
- To provide for better protection of interests of consumers and for that purpose to make provisions for the establishment of consumer councils.
- To protect rights of consumers.
Rights of consumers
- To be protected against marketing of goods which are hazardous to life and property.
- Right to be informed about the quality, quantity, purity, standard etc.
- Right to assure access to a variety of goods at competitive price.
- Right to be heard & to assured to get good consideration at appropriate consumer forums.
- Right to seek redressal against unfair trade practices
- Right to consumer education
Extent of consumer protection
Enrishrines the rights of a consumer to be informed about the:
- Quality, quantity, potency, price, etc of goods
- Protection against unfair trade practices, to seek inexpensive and redressal of consumer grievance.
If consumer has a knowledge and awareness of its consumer rights and consumer protection act then the consumer can make itself safe from fraud cases and activities. Hopefully, the number of consumer complaints will also reduce. There are many online consumer complaint website making awareness about consumer complaints and a consumer can a file consumer complaints online at Voxya, online consumer complaint forum just in 5 minutes.